Contributed by Bonnie Fulgham
This demonstration, will show students that air takes space.
- glass jar
- Styrofoam packing peanut
- clear basin of water (glass bowl or aquarium)
- Float the packing peanut on the surface of the water.
- Ask students what will happen if you place the jar upside down over the peanut in the water.
- Place the jar over the peanut and push straight down into the water. The peanut will be pushed to the bottom of the water.
- You can combine this with putting paper toweling in the bottom of the jar as both with show the same thing.
- The air in the jar kept water from entering the jar (toweling stayed dry) and pushed the peanut before it to the bottom of the basin.