Students will examine present constellation patterns as well as create their own.
- The Glow-In-The-Dark Planetarium Book Annie Ingle, ISBN: 0-679-84367-1
- Sticky stars
- Black construction paper
- Two sample sheets of constellations for handouts. Click for a printable, full-page view. Press the ‘back’ button on your browser to return to this page.
- Shut off classroom lights and cover/close windows
- Turn on flashlight and read The Glow-In-The-Dark Planetarium Book
- Turn off flashlight when finished each page to “reveal” constellations
- When completed book, turn on lights (obviously!) and hand out examples of constellations
- Get children to copy a few with sticky stars on black construction paper (might need glue for stars to stick properly)
- Ask children to create their own constellations
- Older grades may want to attach a story to their constellation for display