Students will focus on the key components of a word and will be encouraged to combine what they already know with what they just learned to the word’s definition. This is a good strategy to use when teaching vocabulary.
- Photocopy, or have students draw, the following structure:
- Have student fill it in, first by writing the word out in the middle box.
- Word? Cumulus
- What is it? a cloud
- What is it like? heaping, flat base, puffy, castle-like tops
- What are some examples? Cucumber Clouds, Cotton Ball Clouds, Alligator Clouds
- After completing the page, ask students to design their own definition based on all of the information written out.
eg: A cumulus is a type of cloud that may be flat based, puffy, heaping, and/or have castle-like tops. Some examples of cumulus are Cucumber Clouds, Cotton Ball Clouds, and Alligator Clouds.