Students will examine the rhythms of songs that they know.
- Start of by tapping out a song that the class knows. Tap your fingers on a desk, shake bells, etc…
- Ask students to listen carefully to the taps and try to figure out what song you are tapping.
- After you are finished tapping out the song, ask for guesses.
- Ask students to come up and tap out a song and repeat the process.
- Variation: Instead of taps think of some pictorial representations, eg: actual musical notes (see Notes and Rests), and draw them on the chalk board. Ask students to figure out the song by examining the pictures.