Students will identify words that begin with certain letters of the alphabet.
- pieces of paper with each of the letter of the alphabet written
- a bag, a hat, a box, or a can to fit the letters in easily
- pieces of paper
- markers, pencils, and/or crayons
This activity is best done in small groups.
- Throw the letters of the alphabet in the container, shake it, and ask each child to reach in and pick one without looking. Ask students to keep the letter turned over until all of the students have one.
- Each student is responsible for writing and/or drawing a word that begins with the letter they chose. Give them one minute to do this.
- After this time ask each student to show and/or read the word and/or drawing to the rest of the group.
- Throw the letters back into the container and repeat.
- Note: Some students will, of course, repeat words that were already presented. That’s okay, though, because at least that word will stick in their heads!