Students will develop their mapping skills by creating an object map of the school.
- butcher paper
- objects that would exist in your school (doors, water fountains, sinks, playground equipment, etc.) drawn and cut out of construction paper.
- Draw a map of the school on butcher paper, identifying all of the major rooms/areas.
- Split class up into groups. Assign a specific object to each group. (eg: group one will look for doors).
- Students visit and examine areas of the school that would be appropriate to map out (halls, library, outside, own class, etc.). You might want to do one area at a time.
- Students glue the construction paper objects on to the appropriate parts of the drawn map.