by Jack Prelutsky, Illustrated by Peter Sis
- Published: 1993
- Genre: Poetry
- Readability: ages 9 and up – younger ages love to skim through the book because its wonderful illustrations, also can be read aloud to 6 year olds and up.
- A few themes: friendship, perspectives, imagination
- A few uses: read aloud, choral reading, Teaching: dragons, middle ages…
The Dragons are singing Tonight is a wonderful compilation of poems about dragons written by Jack Prelutsky. The poems are great to read aloud, and even very young children will get a kick out of the fast pace of many of the poems. Additionally, Sis’s illustrations are beautiful and mysterious. I had my class oohing and aahing everytime I turned a page. This book stresses that it is fun having an imagination and that dragons have feelings too!
Some themes covered in this book: friendship, perspectives, imagination
- Ask the children to draw out the dragon that they liked the best in the collection on really huge paper. We did it on 4×4 feet.
- Paint the dragons.
- Display the dragons with quotes from the poems in the collection.
Additional activities: Use this book when teaching units such as dragons or the Middle Ages.