- The Etymology of First Names
- From Aaren to Zsusanna - lots of first names of many languages.
- Rhetorical Figures of Speech
- Notes the differences between hyperbaton and hyperbole, for example. From the University of Kentucky.
- An Online Dictionary of Literary Terms
- Little Explorers Dictionary
- Picture dictionary with links to sites relating to the picture. Several dual language versions.
- OneLook Dictionaries
- Various specialized dictionaries.
- Semantic Rhyming Dictionary
- Find words that rhyme with, almost rhyme with, or sound exactly the same as a certain target word.
- Roget's Thesaurus
- Roget's Thesaurus on-line.
- Visual Thesaurus
- High tech site that investigates the "spatial map of linguistic associations". A very imaginative, well designed site, that allows you to follow words by clicking on them as they float around.
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
- An online searchable version of this collection.
- Merriam-Webster's WWWebster Dictionary
- On-line version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition.
- Animated Sign Language Dictionary
- Learn more about ASL and the Deaf community.
- Learn Vocabulary Syndicate
- Grade specific puzzles, comic strips, word games and monthly word find puzzles designed to help make learning vocabulary fun.
- World Wide Words
- Learn about the history of certain words or the evolution of new ones,
- Word Wizard
- A free club giving members access to word competitions, new words, quotations, classic insults, slang, and an Ask the Expert service.
- Ask the Word Wizard
- "We offer you a round trip across the language, answering your questions about word or phrase origins, offering a selection of new words, snappy quotes and elegant insults, as well as our Public Scribe Service and amazing competitions. "
- Little Explorers
- 1100 illustrated dictionary entries, as well as links to relevant sites from various topics.
- Lexical Free Net
- Type in any two words and look for synonyms, antonyms, rhymes, anagrams and more. There's even an option to find words in the database with similar spellings.
- One Look Dictionary
- Over 318 dictionaries indexed at one site to provide access to multiple meanings. Includes spelling and specialty dictionaries - even an option to create your own dictionary.