- African American Museums
- an association of African American museums, directors, collectors and other persons interested in this field
- Allen Memorial Art Museum
- Oberlin College Art Museum
- American Memory
- Collections of primary source and archival material relating to American culture and history. Maintained by the Library of Congress, and primarily features items found in its special collections. Includes Civil War and Farm Security Administration (FSA) photographs.
- ANU Art History Server
- includes a database of prints and print history, and information on classical and contemporary architecture.
- Art Deco
Museum of fashion and theatre designs
- bios and samples of the work of such artists as Erté, Mucha, Lizza, and Roy Lichtenstein.
- Art Gallery of Newfoundland and Labrador
- "The Art Gallery of Newfoundland and Labrador (AGNL) is the major public gallery in the province, presenting and interpreting the visual arts in all their richness and diversity to people within the province and beyond. The gallery exhibits original visual art, does research, provides education about art, and is responsible for permanent art collections held in trust for the public."
- Art Gallery of Ontario
- Information, as well as the Kidsmuse Project, "created to demonstrate how the visual arts and interactive media may be used as a basis for curriculum development for grades 1-3".
- Art Gallery of New South Wales
- This is the official site of The Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. One of Australia's premier art museums, it houses important collections of Australian, Aboriginal, European, Asian and Contemporary painting, sculpture, works on paper and photography.
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- An online service developed by the Getty Education Institute for
the Arts, supporting the needs of the K-12 arts education community.
Includes arts education lesson plans, advocacy materials, professional development, curriculum development and theory development.
- "On this site, you can surf coast to coast through the galleries of eleven of Canada's leading museums and experience some of the most provocative art exhibitions of the year."
- The Bayly Museum
- The Digital Image Center includes two exhibits from the Bayly Museum
at the University of Virginia.
Columbia Museums Association
- The BCMA brings together the museums, art galleries, historic sites,
cultural and science centres of the province for shared problem-solving,
the interchange of ideas and institutional and personal advancement. Their web sites includes many online galleries.
- Bosnia & Herzegovina Pavilion at XIX Triennale di Milano
- Bosnia & Herzegovina Pavilion at XIX Triennale di Milano. Pages
in Italian, English and Bosniac.
- Lili Brochetain Collection
- Russian Non-Conformist Art of the 60s-80s.
- UCR/California Museum of Photography
- The museum offers historical photographs from the collections, commissioned contemporary art projects specifically for the Web, essays and children's media education projects.
- Canadian Wildlife and Wilderness Art Museum
- A collection of the worlds best wildlife and wilderness Art for the
enjoyment of some of our cyber-friends.
- Carleton University Art Gallery
- Carleton University Art Gallery is in Ottawa. It houses a collection of Canadian art and European prints and presents a program of contemporary and historical exhibitions of both a national and international character. The gallery is a research resource for the university and focusses upon interdisciplinary issues. The Priscilla Tyler and Maree Brooks Collection of Inuit Art is housed in the Carleton University Art Gallery. Web Gallery online.
- The Carnegie
- Including The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, The Carnegie Museum of
Natural History, The Carnegie Museum of Art, The Carnegie Science Center, the Carnegie Music Hall, and the Andy Warhol Museum.
- Cézanne Exhibition
- The Cezanne exhibition on the web. Access to virtual visit exhibition, including a selection of works, an illustrated biography, all the practical information, the press-kit, the bookstore. (Language: French, English)
- The Children's Museum of Indianpolis
- View the exhibits of The Children's Museum of Indianapolis.
- The Chinese Paintings Gallery
- A virtual tour of Chinese paintings
- The Cleveland Museum of Art
- Explore the virtual galleries of the Cleveland Museum of Art
- Columbia Museum of Art
- The Columbia Museum of Art maintains a collection of over 5000 works
of European and American Fine and Decorative art dating from the 13th century to the present. This collection includes two major gifts of paintings, furniture, textiles, and bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection as well as the Flora Barringer collection of decorative art.
- Copenhagen Art
Museum, Fluxus, Net-book
- Fluxus archive from Copenhagen Museum of Art, Net-book catalogue with marginal literature.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art
- Founded in 1869 the Corcoran Gallery of Art features American art from the eighteenth century to the present. The collection is especially known for 19th century landscapes and portraiture as well as challenging contemporary and historical works in many media including paintings, photography, prints, sculpture and multi media.(english)
- DAAP Galleries
- DAAP Galleries, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning,
University of Cincinnati. Includes Tangeman Fine Arts Gallery, Machine
Shop Gallery, and Aronoff Center for Design and Art Gallery. Changing exhibitions October through May.
- Salvador Dali Museum
- The St. Petersburg Salvador Dali Museum has one of the finest collections of Dali's works availavle. Take a virtual tour of the museum.
Museum and Cultural Center
- Past and present exhibitions showing at the museum, as well as general museum information.
- DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park
- The DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park is a museum of American contemporary and modern art with a special emphasis on the works of living New England artists. The museum features a 35 acre Sculpture Park of modern and contemporary American public works. The DeCordova site provides updated information and images from current exhibitions, a cybertour of its Sculpture Park, an on-line school catalogue, and an art chat room.
- Decouverte d'une grotte
ornee paleolithique a Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardeche)
- Ancient French Cave Paintings
- The Detroit Institute of Arts
- Visitors to the Detroit Institute of Arts Web site will find an ever-increasing number of images from each of our galleries, as well as information and images from our current and future exhibitions. The DIA event and educational schedules are online, as well as a complete section on the current Detroit Film Theatre season. In addition, the site provides information on hours & parking, membership, the DIA research library, highlights from the museum shop, the online staff directory, and links to other museums.
- Digital Daguerreian Archive
- Digital Daguerreian Archive Project home page. The goal of this project is to make available texts from the early days of photography in electronic form. The initial focus is on the Daguerreian period (1839-1860). Also, the Daguerreian Society, a non-profit organization to promote the study of Daguerreotypes and their history.
- The DIVA
- (Digital Images for the Visual Arts). DIVA has hundreds of images, mostly of Australian art and architecture, as well as text information about the Monash University Art Collection, Studying the Visual Arts at Monash, and Art Museums and Galleries in Melbourne.
- City of Elmhurst Art Museum
- The Elmhurst Art Museum is a cultural facility created for the people of Elmhurst and surrounding communities. As a non-profit corporation, it provides resources which encourage an understanding and appreciation of the visual arts.
- Le siecle des lumieres dans la peinture des musees de France
- An English Version of The
age of enlightenment in the paintings of France's national museums
is also available.
- The Exploratorium, San Francisco
- "The Exploratorium is a museum of science, art, and human perception with over 500 interactive "hands on" exhibits."
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco has over 65,000 images online. Subscribe to the free online newsletter featuring site updates and information as well as a featured image every issue.
- The Child's Tour of the Ateneum at the Finnish National Gallery
- A tour of the works at the Finnish National Gallery, made and written for children.
- The Finnish National Gallery
- You can learn about the Gallery's past and present, and also visit
the collections at its three specialist museums - the Museum of Foreign
Art, Sinebrychoff, the Museum of Finnish Art, Ateneum and the Museum of
Contemporary Art - which covers a period of eight centuries. Children can take their own special routes through the Ateneum. We provide this service in English, Swedish and Finnish.
- The Florida Museum of Hispanic and Latin American Art
- Contemporary Art Museum dedicated to Spain and Latin America including non-Spanish speaking countries (Brazil and Haiti). 11 exhibits per year. (English/Spanish)
- Galleria degli Uffizi
- An Italian museum with pages of biographical information about artists like Rafael and Michelangelo and pictures of their works.
- The Getty Art History
- Includes searchable databases of art historical and architectural history.
- Glenbow's Art Collection is comprised of all forms of fine arts, including oil paintings, works on paper (watercolours, prints and drawings), photographs, sculptures as well as contemporary works of
various media. Focusing on western Canada, the collection covers the spectrum from nineteenth century historical paintings to contemporary
- Global Children's Art Gallery - The Natural Child Project
- Features art from many children around the world. Children can also submit their own artwork for display.
- List of Musems in Greece
- Includes a directory of Art Museums and Galleries
- All museums in Denmark. About 800 with 450 pictures. (In Danish)
- Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
- students, faculty, and scholars from around the world use the Ransom Center's collections. Researchers pursue work on a wide range of topics such as surrealist photography, women editors of early 20th-century literary magazines, avant-garde theater design, modern French musical composition, the art of caricature, censorship in Hollywood, contemporary African novelists, and 18th-century English periodical literature.
- Heritage Conservation and Historic Preservation
- "We endeavour to provide a range of current information useful to conservators, curators and anyone else concerned with the care of heritage material, sites and structures. Our ultimate hope is that it will benefit our material cultural heritage no matter whether held in private hands or in public collections."
- The Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt is one of the oldest public museums in Germany, with departments of Art (paintings, drawings, sculptures), Arts and Crafts (esp. medieval ivory work and art nouveau), and Natural History (geology-palaeontology, mineralogy and zoology). The Museum comprises visual arts from the greek-roman period to the present time.
- The High Museum
- "Located in Atlanta, the museum tour includes images of contemporary art; 19th and 20th century furniture; American and European painting; African art; folk art, and photography. Information about the High Museum's films, lectures, and Special Exhibitions is also on the tour."
- A History of Photography
- A hypertext history of photography from the earliest times up to the 1920s, covering all the significant processes and people involved.
- United States Holocaust
- The United States Holocaust Research Institute is the scholarly division of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Its mission is to serve as an international resource for the development of research on the Holocaust and related issues, including those of contemporary significance. Includes a photographic, film and video archive.
- Il Museo Leonardiano Di Vinci
- Tour the virtual gallery of the official da Vinci museum in his hometown of Vinci in Italy.
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Institute of Contemporary Arts
- "The ICA in London's web presence. We hope to represent the full richness of our programme as well as offer an opportunity to those not in London to enjoy some of this programme. We specialise in exhibiting contemporary visual arts, performance art, cultural discourse and criticism, cinema and video. there is also a substantial archive of video and audio recordings which can be browsed on the web site"
- International Children's Art Museum
- Home Page for the International Children's Art Museum, a San Francisco which features artwork from children around the world. This site has information about the museum and its programs. It also features an online gallery with exhibitions from the museums permanent collection.
- International Directory of Art
- The IFLA Section of Art Libraries international Directory of Art Libraries is presented as a finding aid to over 3,000 libraries with specialized holdings in art, architecture, and archeology worldwide.
- Institute of Egyptian
Art and Archaeology home page
- From the University of Memphis. Includes an Egyptian Artifacts Exhibit
- Frida Kahlo
- This page features works by Kahlo, and information about her life.
- The Kyoto National Museum
- Tour the virtual exhibits of The Kyoto National Museum of Japan Online
Trobe University Art Museum
- Still images from the fine art virtual reality museum installation,
LASCAUX are shown. A short text description is also provided.
- Live Art Archive
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Los Angeles County
Museum of Natural History
- Madison Art Center
- The Madison Art Center, a museum of modern and contemporary art, is
now on the Web. The Art Center's page offers images and information on
current exhibitions and education programs, along with a detailed schedule of upcoming exhibitions and events. Visitors can also view unique items available from the museum's Gallery Shop.
- Mattress Factory
- An electronic archive of Installation & Performance Art at the
Mattress Factory since 1982 and a behind-the-scenes look at the current
exhibition of this Research & Development Lab for artists.
- M.C. Escher Image Gallery
- Look at the geometrically focussed work of Escher at this web site.
- McMichael Canadian Art Collection
- Canadian art with a specific historical focus on "the group of seven." Another major emphasis is on Inuit and First Nations art. There are also biographies on a large number of Canadian artists, online art, educational materials, and activities for kids.
- Media Centre of the Musee d'art
contemporain de Montreal
- Provides information about the Media Centres collections, services,
research and staff. organized by subject categories, such as: Museums, Galleries, Exhibitions, Events, Media, Art History, Art Libraries, other specialized directory, etc. in French/English
- The Menil Collection
- The Menil Collection museum was inaugurated in 1987 to house, conserve, and exhibit the permanent collection of John and Dominique de Menil. Its concentrations include art from antiquity, the Byzantine world, tribal cultures, and the twentieth century.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- "The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the largest and finest art museums in the world. Its collections include more than two million works of art -- several hundred thousand of which are on view at any given time -- spanning more than 5,000 years of world culture, from prehistory to the present."
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art -- Children's Area
- Explore the children's area of the great Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- "The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is the most comprehensive fine arts museum in the upper midwest. The permanent collection includes outstanding works in seven curatorial areas with 85,000 objects spanning 4,000 years. This site contains extensive information about the museum including previews of the galleries and a large catalog of curriculum materials".
- Monet Gallery
- The works of impressionist Claude Monet
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- Take a virtual tour and learn about their collections.
- Museum of Arts and Crafts
- by the Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers and of the Musee des arts et metiers.
- Museum of Bad Art
- The Museum of Bad Art is a community-based, private institution dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition and celebration of bad art in all its forms and in all its glory.
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
- The Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts is the oldest fine arts museum in the State of Alabama. The Museum holds over 2800 works of art in its collection, including paintings, prints, watercolors, drawings, photographs, pieces of sculpture and decorative arts.
of Contemporary Ideas
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Online information and virtual exhibits.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston site includes visuals and information on the permanent collection, travelling exhibitions, events and educational programs.
- Museum of Modern Art
- Contains samples from the collections and exhibitions and links to a number of web-based projects/exhibits.
- The Museum of Modern Art: Electronic Projects
- Mutant Materials
in Contemporary Design
- Annette Messager
Explore the French artist's use of traditional and nontraditional materials to explore the boundaries of art making and social relationships.
- Musem Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien
- (German and English)
- Musée du Québec (Art gallery)
- Take a tour of online works, find out biographical information on the artists, and play art puzzle games.
- Museum of Science- Exploring Leonardo
- Learn about Leonardo da Vinci- scientist, inventor, and artist. Includes lesson plans.
- National Art Library
- The National Art Library, London is a major research library for the Fine and Decorative Arts.
- National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature
- Provides recognition of the artistic achievements of illustrators and gallery exhibition of their works.
- Religious Offerings: Asian Art in The National Gallery of Australia
- Images and text highlighting the collection of Asian art.
- National Gallery of Canada
- Go on a virtual tour with Peter Gzowski to a sample of collections and exhibits.
- National Museum of African Art
- National Museum of Slovenia
- The National Museum is the central museum institution of Slovenia,
located in the capital city of Ljubljana. It has extensive departments
of Archaeology, History and Applied Arts, and Drawings and Graphics.
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- showcases the museum with a images from the permanent collection, a video tour, artist profiles, and more- all of women artists
- National Portrait Gallery
- Lesson plans centered around the theme of light and shadows.
- The Perseus Project
- contains the full texts of the Perseus art catalogs, documenting over 2,300 Greek vases, coins, and sculptures. About 14,000 photographs of vases, coins, architecture and sites are available. also contains a texts archive, with the works of over 30 ancient Greek authors, in Greek and in English translation, and a searchable index to the entire site.
Museum of Art
- Tour several of the museum's galleries, and visit the nineteenth annual Philadelphia Museum of Art craft Show
- Postershop Gallery
- A commercial site but a site that provides easy access for you to view many works of art by an extensive number of aritists.
- The Pre-Raphaelite Critic
- A scholarly archive of critical reception of the Pre-Raphaelites as both painters and poets, to cover the period between 1849-1900.
- The Raphael Stanze
- 226 high quality JPEG's of Raphael's paintings in the private apartments of the Vatican.
- Reading Public Museum
- The Reading Public Museum, Planetarium and Arboretum have been serving the Reading Community for over 70 years. The museum has one of the largest permanent collections of any regional museum in the US.
- Reconstruction of Bosnia-Herzegovina
- from the Milan International Exposition. In English, Italian and Bosnian.
Complete Writings and Pictures of Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Rossetti Archive is a hypermedia environment for studying the works of the Pre-Raphaelite poet and painter D. G. Rossetti (1828-1882).
- Royal Ontario Museum
- Large museum with Greek, Roman and Far Eastern art, archaeology and natural sciences collection, Native ethnology and natural history collections. Virtual exhibits including educational activities, shopping and online artifact identification. (English, French)
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- The Sistine Chapel
- 325 JPEG's of every part of the ceiling
- The Smithsonian Institution
- Including the National Portrait Gallery, the National Museum of American Art, the National Air and Space Museum, the Sackler Gallery, the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design, the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Natural History and more.
- Snite Museum of Art
- The Snite Museum of Art at the University of Notre Dame. This site
includes visitor information for the Snite Museum, a listing of exhibits
for the coming year, and samples from its collection of over fifteen thousand works of fine art.
- Spencer Museum Printroom
- Prints, drawings and illustrated books at the Spencer Museum of Art,
University of Kansas. Our images are arranged in thematic exhibtions.
- The Surrealism Server
- Tom Thomson Memorial Art Gallery
- Includes works by Thomson and the Group of Seven, biographies, and background information.
- Torrione Castle
- The Torrione Castle is a unique example of a northern Italian private fortress surviving from the Middle Ages with a Dungeon built before 1147 by a great grandson of the founder of the Vialardi family
- William Turner
- A collection of information on Turner.
- Ukiyo-E Museum
- (Japanese and English)
of Arizona Museums and Galleries
- University Art Museum and
Pacific Film Archive
- The visual arts center of the University of California at Berkeley,
the UAM/PFA is noted for its thought-provoking exhibitions of both art
and film. The museum website contains online versions of current and former exhibitions and exhibition information including online catalogs with images and audio artist interviews, a database of over 12,000 film notes on world cinema, searchable art and film collection guides, an interactive multimedia guide to modern art for kids and more.
- Photo Archives of the University of Utah Marriott Library
- UIUC Krannert Art Museum
- A Guide to the museum, pictures of parts of the collection, and more. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum
- University of Minnesota, USA
- University of
Missouri-Columbia Museum of Art and Archaelogy
- Valcamonica Rock Art
- Prehistoric Rock Art from Valcamonica (Alps) as archaeology and as
- Varo Registry of Women
- The Varo Registry is a rapidly-growing collection of images by women artists. So far, dozens artists and hundreds images are on-line. The Varo also provides a database, listservs for discussion, and more.
- The Vatican Library Exhibit
- An exhibit on Renaissance culture and history from the Vatican Library. Numerous articles and pictures on topics from architecture to mathematics.
- The Victoria and Albert Museum
- The Victoria and Albert Museum is the largest museum of the decorative arts in the world. Today Victorian and Edwardian buildings house 145 galleries containing some of the world's greatest collections of sculpture, furniture, fashion and textiles, paintings, silver, glass, ceramics, jewellery, books, prints and photographs.
- "Videomuseum is a french non-profit organization managing a very extensive project aiming at the computer cataloguing of all the arts works of the 20th century in all the french public museums and collections."
- Video On Line: Art and Museum
- Collection of links,mirrors, and exhibitions, including The Hammer
Manuscript and RADAR.
- Virtual Museums
- "Here you have virtual museums, art centers and monographic studies that only exist in the world of Internet."
- Virtual Museum of Fine Arts
- First Spanish Virtual Museum of Fine Arts Artist from 16th Century
to nowadays. Growing weekly. Ribalta, Porcar, Ripolles, Sese...
- Walker Art Center
- On the cutting edge of Modern Art.
- Warhol Museum
- "The Andy Warhol Museum is essential to the understanding of the most influential American artist of the second half of the 20th century. It is also a primary resource for any one who wishes to gain insights into contemporary art and popular culture."
- Open 24 hrs a day, this on-line art museum has many pictures and information about both the artists and their works. A permanent collection of famous paintings as well as special exhibitions. Special exhibits change frequently. Over 10 million documents.
- Includes a small tour
of Paris, the Famous Paintings collection, and an exhibit
of Les tres riches heures du Duc de Berry.
- Whitney Museum of American
- Women Artists Archive
- The Women Artists Archive contains exhibits of contemporary women artists as well as archives of material concerning women artists in history. The printed material ranges from published articles, personal correspondence, museum photographs of artwork, exhibition notices, and brochures.
- World Art Treasures
- 100,000 slides from the Jacques-Edouard Berger Foundation, all of them devoted to art from Egypt, China, Japan, India, and Europe.