Newspaper Latitude and Longitude
Students will practice finding latitude and longitude using places brought up in current newspaper articles.
- a large map of the world with longitudinal and latitudinal lines and without place names.
- Have one student daily bring in a newspaper article and present it to the class.(you may want to have a current newspaper handy just in case the designtated student forgets)
- The student then picks one place that is brought up in the article and using an atlas find its longitude and latitude.
- Tie a piece of string around a pin and have the student place the pin in the correct spot on the map.
- Stretch the string out past the map to a piece of paper with the name of the place and the newspaper article.