Creating Comic Strips
Students will examine various comic strips for their elements of humour, plot, drawing style, and basic design; they will then create their own comic strip.
- various comic strips (check newspapers and magazines), and collections of these strips (eg. Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, etc.)
- drawing utensils
- Examine the comic strips you have gathered with the class, focussing on elements of humour (eg. satire, slapstick, irony, etc.), drawing style (use of line and/or colour), and plot.
- Students create their own comic strip by going through the process of planning their plot, characters, and drawing style on scrap paper.
- Transfer draft to final copy.
- Students share their comic strips with the class, examining the various elements others used.
- Variation: This lesson can also be completed on the computer using a drawing program.