- If you don't have pre-made metal shavings, cut the steel wool into fine pieces with the scissors.
- Place the magnet on a table and place the sheet of paper over it.
- Sprinkle some steel wool filing or pre-made metal shavings on the paper.
- Tap the paper or move the paper over the magnet to change the pattern.
- Put other metal objects underneath the paper. What happens to the filings? Try to magnetize the metal objects by touching the magnet with them? Keep them under the paper, now what happens?
- When happy with the filings picture, spray it several times with hair spray or clear plastic fixative, let dry between each spraying.
- When final layer of spray has dried, slowly remove the magnet.
- To clean up, cover the magnet with a piece of paper and slowly pass it over scattered or fallen filings.