Patterns in Nature Booklet
Students will examine patterns on objects in nature, then use rubbings of these patterns to create pattern booklets.
- natural objects that have texture
- walnuts, leaves, gourds, rocks, shells, corn, pine cones, etc.
- paper for booklet pages
- pencils, crayons, chalk (for rubbing)
- Explain how rubbings can be a way to record textures.
- Demonstrate how to do a rubbing (place paper on item, use pencil, crayon, or chalk to color the area that the item is under).
- Show all the items that you came up with that have textures.
- Have children do rubbings of items provided, or of items found on their own.
- Ask children to make a title page for booklet.
- Staple all the rubbings as well as the title page together to form a booklet.