Making Paper #2
Students will learn about the process of making paper and another method of recycling through making their own paper.
- old newspaper
- electric blender
- large pan
- wire screening
- wax paper
- rolling pin
- Tear a page of the newspaper into small pieces.
- Place it in a large pan. Add enough water to cover the paper and soak for 10 minutes.
- While the paper is soaking, mix 1/4 cup of water with about 1/8 cup of cornstarch. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves.
- Pour out the water in the pan that was not absorbed by the paper.
- Put the paper in a blender. Add the cornstarch and water mixture. Cover the blender, and turn it on high for about two minutes.
- Put the screen over the pan. Pour the pulp onto the screen. With your hands, spread it out so that it is flat and thin. Cover it with wax paper. Use a rolling pin to squeeze out the excess water. Slowl take thew wax paper off the flattened pulp.
- Allow to dry completely, about a day or two.
- Slowly peel the new paper off the screen.