Students will experiment with tinting, shading to create monochromatic artwork .
- a variety of colours of undiluted tempera paint, including white and black
- paint brushes
- water/water containers
- Explain to students the terms:
Tinting -adding white to a color to create different hues
Shading -adding black to a color to create different hues
Monochromatic -artwork created using one colour
- Show students how different hues are made from color by adding different quantities of white (tinting) or black (shading).
- Students experiment with these techniques on their own.
- Once students understand the concepts, they can move on to creating monochromatic pictures.