Summary of the Sikh Code of Conduct
- There is only one God; worhip and pray Him alone.
- Always work hard, and share with others.
- Practice Truth, and live a Truthful life.
- Remember, women are as good as men.
- The whole human race is one. Distinctions on caste, colour and class are wrong.
- Idols, magic, omens, fasts, frontal marks and sacred threads are unnecessary.
- Dress yourself in a simple and modest way; gaudy clothes and revealing dress bring no credit.
- Sikh women should not observe the veil (parda); neither should they (men as well) make holes in their ears and noses.
- Live a married life; asceticism and renunciation are needless exercises.
- Put your faith in the Holy Granth; no other Holy book or living person can claim Guruship (for Sikhs).
(Given at the time of initiation)
- Thou shalt not cut hair.
- Thou shalt not use tobacco.
- Thou shalt not eat 'ritual meat'.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.