Students will see the the effects of evaporation through painting with salt water.
- 1/4 cup salt
- paper for painting on
- containers for paint
- 1/4 cup warm water
- paint brushes
- food colouring
- measuring cups
- Measure the salt into a container.
- Add the warm water to the salt.
- Add several drops of food coloring to the mixture. (make more of the mixture if you would like more colours, or split this mixture into seperate containers for more colours)
- Paint a picture with the mixture.
- Let the paintings to dry overnight.
- (The water will evaporate from the painting and the colored salt will stay on the paper)
- Have a class discussion on what happened to their paintings. Think of some reasons why this might have happened.