- Add a layer of pebbles to promote drainage at the bottom of the container.
- Cover the pebbles with about a 2 inch layer of topsoil.
- Place a few rocks in the terrarium.
- Add branches, moss, and small plants.
- Slightly moisten the terrarium with water (be careful not to over do it).
- Cover the opening with a sheet of plastic.
- If you would like to add worms to the terrarium, cover the top with a screen or a stocking so that air can get through. As well, make sure that it doesn't get too much sun (worms don't like too much sun).