Grow a Balloon Plant
Students will learn about the growth of a seed and a seed's needs.
- seeds (radish, peas... not too big)
- balloons (preferably clear or white, not too dark)
- Hold a balloon firmly by the neck. Use a funnel, and pour 1/2 cup of dirt into the balloon. Don't turn the balloon over.
- Keep holding the balloon by the neck. Add about 1/4 cup of water through the funnel. Be sure the soil in the balloon is wet but not soggy.
- Use the funnel to drop the seeds into the balloon (pour two seeds in each balloon). Don't turn the balloon over.
- If the balloon is dirty, wipe it carefully with a washcloth.
- Holding the balloon gently by the neck and carefully blow air into it. Keep the balloon from tipping.
- Tie a knot in the neck to keep the air in the balloon. Tie a ribbon around the knot.
- Tie the balloon to a hook or other place near a window. The neck should be the top.