"Come to Canada!" Poster
Students will examine the positive aspects of Canada (eg. diversity, natural resources, scenery) while they design a poster attracting people to come to Canada (travel or immigrate).
- poster paper
- magazines (pref. with Canadian/multi-cultural focus)
- paints & brushes
- if possible, travel/promotional posters/brochures for Canada as examples
- Show students examples of posters, pointing out the colours and the type of phrasing used to attract people.
- Students focus on an aspect of Canada they see as worth coming here for.
- Students design and create their posters, focussing on their 'angle'.
- Display posters and have class discussion on techniques and content used.
- Variation: You may want to try doing this with another time period (eg. pre-confederation).