Dance to the Beat
Students will examine and dance to the beat of a drum. This encourages students to pay attention to the beat of the music while they dance and understand that rythm is an important aspect to dancing.
- a drum, or something that can create beats
- Play some sort of beat on the drum. Ask students to listen to it carefully. Are the beats strong, soft, fast, slow...?
- Then ask students to stand and move to the beat, changing their movements each time the beat changes.
- Ask a student to come up and play a beat on the drum for their classmates to dance to.
- Continue until all students have had a chance to play on the drum.