The Story of My Fruit
Students will examine the exterior of various fruits, and try to deduce how the fruit obtained its distinctive marks (eg. bruises).
- various fruits (try to pick ones with distinctive markings, discolourations, etc.), one per student.
- Distribute one fruit per student.
- Students examine their fruit for appearance, texture and odour. Is there something distinctive about their fruit?
- Each student thinks of a story that can explain the distinctiveness of their fruit, and shares it with the rest of the class (hopefully, things like transportation, handling, growing space, contact with animals, age, etc., will come up).
- Variation: This activity can be expanded to include a written component as a creative writing lesson. Students will think of a creative story behind the distinctive remarks (eg. bank robbers dropped it while escaping...).